I feel like everyone I know is either pregnant or just gave birth. Finding gifts for all those babies can get expensive, and I feel like after a while, there’s no personal touch on any of them.
I decided that for my friend Daniela, I’d make her a baby blanket from scratch. Not only would this gift be special, but I love knitting and crocheting, so however I decided to make it, I knew I’d have fun!
I found a tutorial from Melanie Ham on YouTube and decided to follow along. The end result was so cute and perfect for Daniela’s baby boy, but it was super simple and took me only a few hours to make!
Make sure you start with a large ball of super soft yarn, along the lines of 300g/10.5 oz/258 yards/234 m. Melanie outlines her pattern for the blanket on her blog.
To crochet the blanket, here’s her pattern on how you do it:
- Slip knot and chain 42 (or more if you want it to be larger. Just make sure it’s a multiple of 6– 48, 54, 60, etc.)
- 4th chain from hook place 2 double crochets
skip a chain, 2 double crochets, and continue along foundation chain
- Once you reach the end, 1 double crochet in the last chain
- Crochet 3 and turn
- 1 double crochet in first chain, skip 1 crochet, 2 double crochet and repeat. The 2 double crochets should be in between the “v” stitches front the first row. In the top chain on the end, place 1 double crochets. Crochet 3 and turn.
- When you run out of the first ball of yarn, tie the end of the 2nd ball together and continue crocheting. Trim any ends that are sticking out.
- Continue crocheting until 2nd ball is used up. Be sure to finish on the end.
- Tie off end and weave in ends.
The final blanket measure about 31 x 35.
I can’t wait to give this to my friend. Her baby is gonna be so comfy, and I know she’s gonna love it! Maybe once that one’s done, I can make a huge one for myself!
Are you planning on making this for anyone you know?