I really love eating fresh tamales all year round, although there are a lot of tamale stands in where I live in Texas, they are not always open. I was so happy when I found this tamale pie casserole, video recipe tutorial by Simply Mama Cooks on YouTube because it was all the flavors I love in a good tamale. The recipe by Simply Mama Cooks is delicious because she includes her recipe for homemade jalapeno cornbread to use as a topping for the casserole, but you can use an instant cornbread mix with no problem.
Ingredients For Tamale Pie- Enchilada Cornbread:
Ingredients For Enchilada Center:
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 ounces of water
- 1 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese (shredded)
Ingredients For Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- 1 can (14.75 ounces) of creamed corn
- 1//2 cup of milk
- 1 to 2 large jalapenos (diced)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (shredded)
In this tamale pie casserole, video recipe tutorial by Simply Mama Cooks on YouTube, you will learn how to make this simple casserole in a step-by-step method. You begin by making your ground beef mixture in a skillet.
Then you make your cornbread mixture and layer the two in a casserole dish and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
This tamale pie is delicious and my family loves it.