Do you cringe every time you have to remove a bowl from the microwave, afraid that you will burn your fingers, or drop the bowl and spill the hot contents on yourself or someone else?
Well not anymore. Here’s how to make a washable, microwave-safe bowl potholder so you don’t even have to touch the hot bowl anymore!
You’ll need two fabric squares with the pattern of your choice, and two squares of cotton batting the same size. Use 100% cotton fabric and batting.
These squares can be as large or as small as you’d like in order to get the size you want.
- Place one piece of the patterned fabric on top of the batting and sew diagonally across the middle of the two, then do it again, making it into quarters.
- Fold it in half and measure two inches down the fold of the fabric and mark it. Measure one inch along the top and mark again. Draw along those two points and sew. Repeat on the other side.
- Repeat all of these steps with the other fabric piece and batting piece. Then turn one of the bowls inside out. Place them together so the pattern sides are facing each other.
- Pin them in place and mark a two inch opening to leave unsewn. Sew the rest shut. Trim the corners. Use the opening to flip the bowl cozy right side out.
- Push out the corners, then sew a top stitch all the way around to sew it shut. Be sure to rotate the fabric and lift/drop the foot of the sewing machine as needed for this.
Tie a knot and that’s it!
Watch how Today we Craft makes these in their step by step tutorial below so you can save yourself from getting burned ever again!