Over the last 20 years, the Harry Potter series has taken the world by storm. With 7 books, 8 movies, merchandise, and even a theme park, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry has left its mark.
People of all ages use the Harry Potter universe in their daily lives: room decorating, themed weddings, and perhaps most of all, Halloween!
If you or someone you know wants to be someone from the Harry Potter universe for Halloween, it’s actually incredibly simple to make the costume yourself for a fraction of the cost.
To make the simple Hogwarts uniform, you will need:
- Black cotton fabric (you’ll need enough to go to your ankles and just beyond your wrists, probably a few yards)
- Colored fabric of your house of choice (Red= Gryffindor, Green= Slytherin, Blue= Ravenclaw, Yellow= Hufflepuff)
- Iron-on transfer paper
- A printer
- A small scrap of white fabric
- A white button-up shirt
- Colored tie that matches your house color(s)
To complete the outfit, you can also wear a sweater with house colors as the accents and black pants if you’re a boy, or the sweater, a mid-length dark grey skirt, and knee-high socks if you’re a girl.
One things for sure: if you’re going to be a witch or wizard, you’ll need a wand! If you don’t want to buy the wand of your favorite character, you’ll just need:
- A paintbrush or chop stick
- Hot glue
- Air dry clay or a crystal (optional)
Watch Natalie Rose‘s video below to learn how to get the perfect costume, and add your own finishing touches to get the magic rolling this Halloween!