I’ve come across a ton of unique desserts that have made me want to get in the kitchen, but until now, I had never found anything that caught my eye as much as this.
It’s called “Poor Man’s Pecan Pie,” and it’s sweet, crunchy, syrupy and delicious. It’s pretty similar in flavor to pecan pie, but it contains no pecans or corn syrup and has a totally different texture.
This pie is also really inexpensive to make. If you want to make a delicious dessert on a budget, this is a great one to try.
As soon as I tasted this, I was obsessed, and I’m sure you will be too. Here’s how you make it.
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a pie dish with unbaked pie crust.
- Stir together brown sugar, oats, sugar and salt, then stir in milk, beaten eggs, butter and vanilla extract. Continue stirring until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into pie shell, then place in oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until pie is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes, then serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Have you tried this pie? How do you make yours?