I recently went through my old clothes and have decided to donate a decent chunk of them to the thrift store down the street. I also decided I didn’t want to get rid of all of my old clothes.
I wanted to turn them into something else! When I found you could turn old T-shirts and flannels into tote bags, I knew I wanted to give them a try.
One of the bags requires no sewing at all, and the other requires next to no sewing skills. Both bags are monstrously easy and I’m super glad I gave it a shot. I love mine!
Do you want to try it too? Here’s how.
For the T-shirt bag:
- Cut the sleeves off of the T-shirt.
- Cut the neckline off.
- Cut off the bottom hem, then cut fringe strips on the bottom as large or as small as you’d like. Hers are about 7″ long and 1/4″ wide.
- Tie the fringe strips together two at a time. Once they’re all tied, if you want them completely secure, tie the top strip of one knot to the bottom strip of the one to the right of it, and continue.
For the flannel bag:
- Sew the gaps between the buttons of the flannel shut. Turn the shirt inside out and stitch the bottom shut.
- Cut off the excess fabric. Turn the shirt right side out.
- Sew the two sleeves together at the wrist hole to create an over-the-shoulder strap.
Which one are you gonna make?